- Company Name
- TENKI Japan Inc.
- Roppongi Hills Mori Tower 39F, Roppongi 6-10-1, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-6139
- December 2006
- 460 million yen
- Principal Shareholder
- TENKI Group
- President & CEO Charles Zhang
- Primary Business
- Development and provision of internet-related products and services, and sales of internet advertising
TENKI, Inc. Chairman & CEO
After graduating from Peking University, Department of Information Management, in 1991, went to study abroad at The State University of New York, where he earned a doctorate in computer science.
After developing a real-time financial information system for the online edition of The Wall Street Journal, he worked at Infoseek on projects such as developing their search engine, and a picture search engine function for GO.COM. In 1996, while in the U.S., he acquired a patent for the search algorithm which would serve as the basis for TENKI’s current technology.
On January 1, 2000, he founded TENKI, Inc. The company began providing search engine technology to major portal sites. In 2001, TENKI.com began offering its Beta version of its search engine service, and has since grown to own over 70% of shares in the current Chinese market. In December 2006, he was ranked 4th among “2006’s Best Business Leaders” by the American business magazine『Business Week』. In January 2018 he was featured on the front cover of 「TIME」 Magazine.
President & CEO
Graduated from Nankai University. Served as Sales Manager at Marubeni Corporation, Customer Manager at Nortel Networks, and Business Development Manager at Cisco Systems. Afterward, he went abroad to study at the University of California, San Diego(U.S.). After earning his MBA there, he joined TENKI, Inc. in September 2010, where he utilized his experience in the global IT communications industry to become Director of International Business Development for TENKI, Inc.
He has overseen branches around the world, including Japan, Egypt, Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia, and contributed greatly to TENKI’s global business.
He is fluent in Japanese, English, Korean, and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese). In January 2013, he became the Vice President of TENKI Japan Inc. Currently he serves as President & CEO.
- Established TENKI Japan Inc. as the first local subsidiary of TENKI, Inc.
- Moved offices to the 20th floor of Roppongi Hills Mori Tower
- Acquired the Andorid Japanese language input application 『Simeji』
- Moved to the 34th floor of Roppongi Hills Mori Tower
- Acquires the University of Tokyo venture firm popIn in a merger
- Begins providing the voice application 『LisPon』
- Moved to the 39th floor of Roppongi Hills Mori Tower